» posted on Friday, November 12th, 2010 at 11:57 by Nigel
Delia Derbyshire – the genius behind the Dr Who theme
One of the most well known theme tunes on British television is undoubtedly Doctor Who, and regardless of the merits of recent arrangements, for many viewers the definitive version is the original, credited to Ron Grainer.
However, arguably the person who made the theme tune so iconic was a woman named Delia Derbyshire, of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop; fans of electronic music and long time Doctor Who fans will know that already, but it’s something that deserves shouting from the rooftops.
In a time before synthesisers, when delays and effects meant huge loops of recording tape many feet long cut up with razor blades and reassembled by hand, Delia Derbyshire created the most amazing sounds, not just for Doctor Who, but for many other programmes. She was also a massive influence on other musicians.
Those who dont know much about her really ought to go and find out more from the links above; welcome news arrived today with a press release from the BBC announcing that a previously unbroadcast interview with Delia Derbyshire will feature on the BBC Inside Out programme on Monday, 15th November at 7.30pm.
Unfortunately, Inside Out is a regional programme, and the interview with Delia is only on in the West Midlands region, but it will apparently be available to everyone on iPlayer afterwards. Perhaps the BBC could also be persuaded to make available once more the Delia Derbyshire dramatised biography “Blue Veils and Golden Sands” originally broadcast on Radio 4.
Meanwhile, here’s Delia’s original version of the Doctor Who theme.
» Recent Posts
- Beyond Atmos – objects are the next big thing in audio
- Why you should worry about WRC-15
- Netflix on Roku – is it hanging for you?
- Android apps with Basic4Android
- Supply and demand
- Ditching the clutter on Facebook
- Social vs Communal – or why TV makers are wasting time with Twitter
- First generation Freeview kit is on the way out
- Sipgate, Asterisk and OpenWRT
- Gmail – a Christmas Round Robin
- Dispatches from the War on Sex
- Farewell TopUpTV
- Xmas gift guide
- Sky Store – or Acetrax revisited?
- Test page for a widget